From Kristi's Kitchen
7 c. freshly milled spelt flour
2 tbsp. SAF brand yeast
1 tbsp. sea salt
1/3 c. raw honey
1/3 c. grape seed oil
2 1/2 c. warm filtered water
- In a stainless stand mixer bowl, combine 2 c. of flour and all remaining ingredients -reserving 5 c. flour
- Stir with a fork, cover with dish cloth and set aside for 20 minutes -this is called sponging
- Place on stand mixer base add remaining flour and combine with bread hook on low speed until well incorporated
- Turn speed up to high and beat for 10 minutes -adding a bit extra flour if needed -you want the dough ball forming without sticking to the bowl
- With oiled hands, turn out on lightly oiled surface
- Cut dough into 36 equal pieces
-Shape into balls, placing the pinched ends down 3 across in oiled 9x2x13 pan (it will take 3 pans...I use 8x8 pans and fit 9 in each)
- Cover and set aside for at least 1 hour and up to 5
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Bake buns for 12-14 minutes, until nicely browned on top
-Cool and remove from the pans using a spatula
-Cut in two and serve up your favorite sandwich
Makes 36 buns
This recipe can be halved with ease and is perfect for parties!
Substitute whole wheat flour for the spelt and you have the perfect loaf bread recipe... makes 2 - 4x8 size loaves.
Literally, this recipe takes about 20 minutes of hands on time and, in the end, you have soft, fluffy buns...perfect for Hamburgers, Roasted Veggie Melts, Turkey Guacamole Sliders, Egg & Cheese Breakfast Sammies -the sky is the limit!
Healthy, Happy Eating for sure!
PICTURED: Grass-fed beef burgers "Five Guys Style" - homemade mayo, organic ketchup, lettuce, tomato, onion, fresh jalapeno slices, organic cheese and homemade sweet and spicy pickles on the side... -YUMMO!!!