Friday, October 28, 2011

A Good Use For White Flour...


Here's hoping the title caught your eye and pulled you in...

One of my fondest memories growing up is of my grandmother making homemade play dough for the Preschool she directed -I always got the privilege of test driving the batch before it was surrendered to the group. The ingredients are simple, it takes no time to make and affords hours of imaginative enjoyment for the little and not so little alike. 



Over the course of the last year and a half there have been many things that I have tossed out of my pantry in order to maximize my family's health -one chief offender to hit the curb was all purpose white flour. It as been completely eliminated from our diet but... not the pantry at large.

Before you gasp in shock, I have not purchased it since clearing my pantry 20 plus months ago-not that that would be a sin in and of itself - but, I did reserve the remaining 5 lb. bag I had on the shelf at the time of our makeover and it is now affectionately known as "the play dough flour" by my 4 year old...a happy repurposing in my book especially if your little ones are past the "eating the dough" phase!

This recipe is perfect for creating new memories of your own and satisfying the need not to "waste" that remaining white flour before eliminating it from your meal plan - Let your imagination sour to new heights and your health too!

Repurpose -away!

Basic Play Dough
From Kristi's Kitchen

Ingredients:

2 c. AP Flour or soft white wheat
1 c. salt
2 c. water
2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
4 tsp. cream of tartar

annatto seed OR beet juice for coloring (red, yellow or orange) - Combine annatto seed with oil and heat before combining with other ingredients (the oil will be infused with the color from the seed)

If using beet juice, substitute some juice for some water (ie. 1 3/4 c. + 2 tbsp. water and 2 tbsp. beet juice = 2 c. liquid)

Directions:

-Combine all ingredients in a pot
-Heat over medium heat
-Stir constantly until mixture pulls away from the sides of the pot and begins to form a ball (about 3-5 minutes)
-Let cool completely

Health, Joy and a  very Happy Play Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment