Thursday, January 5, 2012

Science Class You Can Eat...Homemade Mozzarella and the Back Story

    I was in the grocery store the other day...I picked up a package of shredded mozzarella cheese -read the label and put it right back down...there in the ingredients column was "CELLULOSE'! For those who are wondering, "What's that?" It's WOOD and it's approved by the FDA and used as filler and anti-caking agent in processed foods. Last I checked, I'm not a beaver or a woodchuck so, finding wood in my food is very frustrating and disturbing to say the least! They bill it as good under the guides of providing folks with extra fiber that they need because of poor diet but, the truth is- if you're eating a healthy diet you don't need added fiber and you definitely don't need it from wood!

Back story noted...

I have been intrigued by the process of making cheese so, today I decided to turn it into science class (when you home school you can roll that way)...

I found a blog that outlined a pretty straight forward process and even posted step-by-step pictures:
http://www.goodtrueandbeautiful.com/2010/03/how-to-make-mozzarella/

Computer accessed, supplies in hand and eager taste buds both big and small - we set out to conquer the cheese making challenge and thus save ourselves from the grotesque cellulose monster...


The result was sweet success...
a delicious ball of fresh homemade - no cellulose added - mozzarella!


We went from milk to cheese in less than 30 minutes...the process was easy to follow and the result was fabulous! To celebrate our accomplishment, we made lunch...

Artichoke and Chicken Pizza Crisps with Homemade Mozzarella Cheese -SO GOOD!!!


Everyone gobbled it down -proud of their accomplishment!

Reflecting back on the process, there are a few adjustments I would make - the curds stuck to my cheese cloth which was difficult to untangle and the cheese needed just a bit more salt...I think on my next go I will set the curds aside on parchment paper and add a smaller amount of sea salt directly to the cheese as I knead and stretch it...over all the process was simple and very successful!

So glad we gave it a try -we will definitely be doing it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment