Thursday, August 4, 2011

Home Spun Almond Butter Spread From Kristi's Kitchen

I was watching something the other day and they were talking about almond butter...

We have bought almond butter for years -my middle son is allergic to peanuts so it was "manna from heaven" the day I discovered almond butter on a supermarket shelf...I did the happy dance for about 5 aisles. My then 2 years old son had never had peanut butter before or any type of nut butter spread and I was over-the-top excited to introduce him to it!

Flash forward now 5 years and it has not once dawned on me to make it myself...

until this week...

With a little recipe study, I discovered that this was going to be a relatively simple process and boy was it -with delicious results!
Better than anything I have tasted off the shelf and so much better for you!
I can already taste the organic raisin ants dotting my almond butter filled organic celery canoe...

This will definitely keep you and the kids coming back for more... Give it a go!


Home Spun Almond Butter
From Kristi's Kitchen

Ingredients:

3 c. raw blanched whole almonds
3 tbsp. + 1 tsp. honey
3/4 c. grapeseed oil
1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. sea salt

Directions:

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Toss almonds with 3 tbsp. of honey, sesame oil, salt and 3 tbsp. of the grapeseed oil
- Place on baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes; until light golden brown
- Place almonds and remaining honey in food processor and begin processing
- Scrap down the sides and continue processing
- Slowly drizzle remaining oil into processing mixture
- Scrap the sides once again and continue processing until completely smooth
- Pour into pint sized jar and store in the refrigerator


I am 99.9% certain that any nut will work in this recipe -so experiment and let me know what you come up with I would absolutely love the feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment